Crafts with Parks & Rec
Supplies- Pumpkin Craft Kit from Perfect Occasion Costume and Magic, Scissors, Marker, Small Roll of Toilet Paper
1. Lay out big fabric square.
2. Put toilet paper roll in the middle of fabric square.
3. Fold fabric over toilet paper and tuck into the roll hole.
4. Next get the small green fabric piece.
5. If you want to make it shaped like a leaf, fold it in half and use the marker to draw a leaf shape on it. Once that is done cut out the shape.
6. If you are not making it leaf shaped, take the green fabric lay it out.
7. Take your fingers and pinch the green fabric in the middle, and tuck into the roll hole.
8. Next take brown packing paper and crunch it up and roll it into a stem shape.
9. Put stem into roll hole.
10. Take the twine and tie a knot in the center.
11. Separate the twine layers.
12. Put twine in roll hole and arrange how you like it.
13. Finally take the decorative leaf vine and arrange it on the pumpkin.
I purchased the Pumpkin Kit at Perfect Occasion Costume and Magic in Middlefield for $3 each. I had the toilet paper at home.
Supplies-Cake Pop Container, Balloon, Mini Marshmallows, and Scissors
1. Cut “neck” off balloon.
2. Put balloon onto the end of the cake pop container, covering the little hole in the end.
3. Put mini marshmallow into cake pop container, make sure it is “in” the small hole.
4. Pull the balloon back and aim.
5. Let go of the balloon and watch the mini marshmallow fly.
I purchased all the supplies and Walmart in Middlefield.
We made Suncatchers out of Pony Beads on this week's "Crafts with Billie".
Posted by Village of Middlefield on Saturday, September 5, 2020
Supplies- Pony Beads, Metal Cookie Cutters, Foil, Baking Pan, Grill, Scissors, Wire or String
1. Cover baking sheet with foil.
2. Put cookie cutter on pan.
3. Put a layer of Pony beads in the cookie cutter.
4. Turn grill on high (can be done in the oven but the melting beads smell)
5. Melt beads for 30 minutes
6. Let beads cool
7. Attach wire or string to suncatchers and hang in the window.
Bowl or Container
1. Pour glue into bowl.
2. Add shaving cream
3. Mix together
4. Add food coloring
5. Mix together
6. Add contact solution
7. Mix together
8. Add contact solution as needed until it is not sticky.
9. Store in an air tight container.
Decorating a Mask
Supplies- white mask, fabric markers, paint marks, stencils, lanyard, scissors
1. Draw your design on your mask, or use a stencil.
2. Color in your design.
3. Put mask on lanyard.
4. Wear Mask.
I purchased the fabric markers and lanyards at Walmart in Middlefield.
Fabric Markers- $14.97
Birthday Punch Board
Supplies- 1 form poster board, 1 pack of tissue paper, hot glue, hot glue gun, 30 or 31 Solo cups, scissors, and pen. Optional items are construction paper, card stock, stickers, balloons, and little prizes
1. Print out flower pattern, cut it out and trace on to construction paper. Cut all the flower out once you traced them.
2. This is if you are not putting little prizes in your cups. Print out bee on card stock, number the back of your bees, 1-31, and Make 2 sets. Cut one set out.
3. Put numbered bee or little prize into cup. If using the numbered bee’s make sure you get 31 presents and wrap them. Use the second set of numbered bees to put on the wrapped present.
4. Cut tissue paper into squares that are big enough to cover the top of the cup and have extra to glue to the side of the cup.
5. Take bee or prize and put into cup.
6. Take one square of tissue paper and hot glue it to cover the top of the cup. BE CAREFUL THE GLUE IS HOT. Ask an adult to help.
7. Take second square of tissue paper and hot glue it to cover the top of the cup. BE CAREFUL THE GLUE IS HOT. Ask an adult to help.
8. Cut off any extra tissue paper on the sides of the cup.
9. Now carefully hot glue the flower onto the top of the cup.
10. Repeat steps 5-9 until all the cups are done.
11. Now place cups onto poster board to see how they fit.
12. Once you have them placed where you want the cups, hot glue them to the poster board.
13. Carefully add stickers to the cups if you want.
14. We glues Happy Birthday balloons to the back of the board.
15. Give the Birthday Person the Birthday Punch Board. If you did not put little presents in the cups explain to the person that they need to punch a cup get the number out of the cup and they get to open the present with that number on it.
I purchased everything at Dollar Tree, in Middlefield.
Supplies: Clear plastic bottle, water, vegetable oil, food coloring, and Alka-Seltzer (Alka-Seltzer is medicine have an adult help you)
1. Fill bottle ¾ the way full with vegetable oil.
2. Pour water into the bottle until about inch to the top.
3. Add about 10 drops of food coloring.
4. Break Alka-Seltzer tablet into a few small pieces, and drop them into the bottle.
5. Put lid on, and watch the lava activity in your bottle.
6. Once the activity stops you can add more Alka-Seltzer to start the lava again.
I had all the supplies at home.
Supplies- Bin or bucket (deep enough to dunk shoe), Oil based spray paint (Rust-Oleum) plastic gloves, water, and item to hydro dip (we used white shoes from Walmart)
Steps- THIS NEEDS TO BE DONE OUTSIDE
1. Fill 3/4 of the bin with water.
2. Put on plastic gloves
3. Spray the paint on to the water.
4. Decide where you want to dip your item, and dunk item in the paint and water.
5. Use your free hand to wipe the extra paint away from your item and remove from water.
6. Repeat with the other shoe. (If you are doing a shoe)
7. Let dry in the sun for about 15 minutes.
8. Spray clear coat over item.
9. Let dry for 24 hours.
10. Enjoy your shoes or item.
I purchased the shoes and Rust-Oleum spray paint at Walmart in Middlefield, all other supplies I had at home.
White Adult Shoes- $7.88 a pair
White Youth Shoes- $6.88 a pair
Rust-Oleum Spray Paint- $3.96 a can
Supplies- Plastic bottle, water, glitter, sequence, beads, food coloring, clear hand soap, and hot glue gun.
1. Fill 1/4 of the bottle with water.
2. If your hand soap is clear add a few drops of food coloring to the bottle.
3. Add glitter, sequence, and beads.
4. Fill the rest of the bottle up with hand soap.
5. Glue the lid onto the bottle.
6. Shake the bottle to mix the ingredients. It won’t look great at the beginning. The solution needs to settle first.
7. Now shake bottle again and was the solution.
I purchased the clear hand soap at Walmart, the glitter, beads, and sequence at Dollar Tree, both in Middlefield. I got the bottle from my recycling bin at home.
Glitter, Beads, Sequence- $1.00 each
Clear Hand Soap- $3.37
Popsicle Stick Airplane
1 clothespin, we used craft jumbo clothespin from Dollar General
2 standard sized, colored or non-colored Popsicle sticks
2 mini colored or non-colored Popsicle sticks
Paint pen (optional)
Hot Glue gun with Glue
Steps for non-colored Popsicle sticks. IF USING COLORED POPSICLE STICKS SKIP TO STEP #4
1. Carefully remove the metal spring from the clothespins.
2. Color each clothespin.
3. Put spring back onto the clothespin.
4. Plug in hot glue gun and add glue if needed. (Ask an adult if you need help, glue gun has hot parts of be careful)
5. Glue one regular popsicle stick to the top/front of the clothespin for the wing
6. Glue one regular popsicle stick to the bottom/front of the clothespin for the wing
7. Glue one mini popsicle stick to the top/back of the clothespin for the tail.
8. Glue the front propeller onto just the top part of the clothespin, by attaching another mini popsicle stick onto just the top part of the clothespin on a bit of an angle to make the propeller. (This will allow you to clip your airplane onto things.)
9. Now glue a button to the middle of the propeller.
I purchased the popsicles sticks at Dollar Tree, and the Jumbo Clothespin at Dollar General, both in Middlefield. All the other supplies I had at home.
Popsicles Sticks- $1.00
Jumbo Clothespins- $2.00
Spin Art or Frisbee Art
1. Go outside
2. Pour first paint color in the middle of the canvas.
3. Pour second paint color next to the first color on canvas.
4. Pour third paint color next to the second color on canvas.
5. Pour glitter over all paint colors.
6. Pick up canvas.
7. Throw canvas like you are throwing a Frisbee.
8. Go get canvas and look at it. If you do not like the pattern throw canvas again. You can throw canvas as many times as you want until you get the desired pattern.
9. Let canvas dry.
I purchased the canvases at Dollar Tree and the paint at Walmart, both in Middlefield.
Tie Dye with Bleach
Supplies: Bleach, dark color shirt, water, container, spray bottle, gloves, rubber bands, and washer and dryer
1. Put on gloves
2. Put 1 part bleach and 1 part water into spray bottle. (Ask an adult)
3. Decided how you want your shirt tie dyed.
4. Place rubber bands on shirt for what design you picked.
5. Start spraying beach mixture on side one of the shirt.
6. Spray the second side of the shirt.
7. Let shirt sit for 10 minutes. Do not go over 10 minutes, the bleach will make holes in your shirt.
8. Rinse it in water.
9. Wash shirt with laundry soap by itself.
10. Put shirt in dryer.
11. Wear your finished shirt.
Where I purchased the bleach, spray bottle and shirts at Walmart in Middlefield.
Shirts- $2.50 each
Spray Bottle- $.97
Candy Tackle Box for Dad
Candy shaped worms and fish, (we used Swedish Fish and Gummy Worms)
Soft Mint Candies as Bobbers
1. Wash hands for 20 seconds.
2. Place candies into tacklebox sections.
3. Close tacklebox and decorate the outside.
I had the tackleboxes left over from a Recreation Fishing Event, but I purchased everything else from the Walmart in Middlefield.
Gummy Worms- $3.14
Swedish Fish- $4.48
Soft Mint Candies- $7.58
Paint Markers- $8.97
Fish Stickers- $.97 per pack
Father’s Day Project
Piece of wood or wood handled tool
Wood burning tool
1. Place towel over table or work area.
2. Have an adult plug in wood burning tool and turn on.
3. Write what you want to burn into your wood or tool in marker.
4. CAREFULLY start tracing your writing with the tool. REMEMBER IT IS HOT! Always ask an adult for help if you need it.
5. Once you are done tracing your writing with the tool, turn off tool and allow it cool completely before putting it away.
I purchased all the supplies at Wal-Mart in Middlefield.
Wood Burning Tool- $12.94
Mentos and Diet Coke Challenge
Two liter of Diet Coke
1. Place Diet Coke two liter OUTSIDE on a flat surface
2. Open Diet Coke
3. Add 7 Mentos
4. Run and watch the reaction.
Why do Mentos turn ordinary bottles of diet soda into geysers of fun? The answer is a little more complicated than you might think. Let’s start with the soda . . .
Soda pop is made of sugar or artificial sweetener, flavoring, water, and preservatives. The thing that makes soda bubbly is invisible carbon dioxide (CO2), which is pumped into bottles at the bottling factory using lots of pressure. If you shake a bottle or can of soda, some of the gas comes out of the solution and the bubbles cling to the inside walls of the container (thanks to tiny pits and imperfections on the inside surface of the bottle called nucleation sites). When you open the container, the bubbles quickly rise to the top pushing the liquid out of the way. In other words, the liquid sprays everywhere. https://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/original-mentos-diet-coke-geyser/
1 empty plastic bottle
Liquid dish soap
3% hydrogen peroxide
½ cup measuring cups
1 Tablespoon measuring spoon
Food coloring (optional)
large bin or tray to catch the foam.
1. Put on safety glasses
2. Go OUTSIDE with supplies
3. Carefully pour ½ cup of hydrogen peroxide into empty bottle.
4. Add a big squirt of dish soap and swirl gently to mix.
5. Add food coloring if you would like.
6. Place bottle in bin or set on tray
7. In the ½ cup measuring cup mix together one tablespoon of yeast and three tablespoons of warm water.
8. Pour the yeast mixture into the bottle and quickly step back.
9. Rinse the foam down the drain when it is time to clean up.
Observations and results-
You probably saw lots of bubbles and foam in this activity. What makes the foam appear? When the hydrogen peroxide comes into contact with the yeast it starts breaking down into water and oxygen. Oxygen is a gas and therefore wants to escape the liquid. The dish soap that you added to your reaction, however, traps these gas bubbles, forming a foam. The reaction continues as long as there is some hydrogen peroxide and yeast left. Once one of them runs out it stops making new foam. If you tried the activity without dish soap, the reaction probably will still made bubbles—but not foam. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/make-elephant-toothpaste/
All the supplies for the Mentos and Diet Coke Challenge and Elephant Toothpaste was purchased at Walmart in Middlefield.
Mentos and Diet Coke Challenge
Mentos- $0.94 per pack
Diet Coke- $1.68 for 2 liter
Dry Yeast- $1.34 for .75oz
Hydrogen Peroxide- $0.88 for 32oz
• 2 cups Corn Starch
• 1 cup water
• Food coloring (optional)
Supplies: Large bowl, small bowl, spoon, 1 cup measuring cup
1. Put 2 cups of corn starch in the large bowl.
2. Put 1 cup water in the small bowl.
3. Add a few drops of food coloring into the water and mix. (optional)
4. Add water to the large bowl and mix with the corn starch.
5. You may need to add a little more water or corn starch.
6. Play with the Oobleck.
7. You can store Oobleck in an air tight container or Zip Lock Bag.
I purchased all the ingredients at Walmart in Middlefield.
Corn Starch- $1.67 for 16oz
I had the water and food coloring at home.
Supplies: Tie Dye Kit, white shirt, water, container, plastic bag, washer and dryer
1. Put shirt in water to get it wet.
2. Wring shirt out.
3. Pour water into dye bottles.
4. Decided how you want your shirt tie dyed.
5. Place rubber bands on shirt for what design you picked.
6. Start dying side one of the shirt.
7. Dye the second side of the shirt.
8. Put dyed shirt into plastic bag for 24 hours.
9. Take shirt out of bag and rinse it in water.
10. Wash shirt with laundry soap by itself.
11. Put shirt in dryer.
12. Wear your finished shirt.
13. REMEMBER TO WASH IT BY ITSELF THE FIRST FEW TIMES AFTER YOU WEAR IT.
Where I purchased the Tie Dye Kit and shirts at Walmart in Middlefield. I had the Zip Lock bag and water at home.
Tie Dye Kit- $17.94
White Shirts- $2.50 each
1. Take your square Piece of paper and do a valley fold.
2. Fold a triangle at the top, unfold, and then repeat on the other side.
3. Fold the top of the paper down to the bottom crease and then unfold.
4. Put your thumbs on the line going through the triangle and then put your pointer fingers on the top of the triangle, gently push your thumbs and pointer fingers together.
5. Fold the top flaps to the top point.
6. Fold the ends you didn’t fold in the last step towards the center crease.
7. Fold the bottom half up at the neck. Then fold it back making the legs.
8. Cut off the end.
Microwave Salt Dough
Microwaveable Salt Dough (2 part video)
Supplies: Large bowl, microwaveable plate, paper plate, plastic knife or cookie cutters, water, flour, salt, paint brushes, paint, covering for table, and microwave.
2 cups flour
1 cup salt
1 cup water
1. Cover table
2. Put 2 cups of flour into the large bowl.
3. Put 1 cup of salt into the large bowl.
4. Slowly pour the water into the bowl.
5. Mix with hands until the consistency of play dough. (Might need to add more salt, flour or water)
6. Form shape, we just made a circle then pressed our hand into it.
7. Put on microwaveable plate
8. Ask an adult to microwave it on high for 30 seconds, then for 10 seconds at a time, until dry. HAVE ADULT TAKE OUT OF MICROWAVE IT WILL BE VERY HOT.
9. Let cool
10. Put paint on paper plate
I purchased the flour, brushes, paint, table cover at Dollar Tree in Middlefield and the Salt at Walmart in Middlefield.
Paint- $1 each
Paint Brushes- $1
Table Cover- $1
Corn Starch and Hair Conditioner Play Dough
Large Bowl, 1 cup measuring cup, cornstarch, inexpensive hair conditioner, zip lock bag or air tight container, and food coloring (optional)
2 cups corn starch
1 cup inexpensive hair conditioner
food coloring (optional)
1. Place 2 cups of corn starch in a large bowl.
2. Pour one cup of hair conditioner in the bowl with corn starch.
3. Mix the hair conditioner and cornstarch, with your hands–it will start coming together and it will be pliable and very, very smooth.
4. You may need to add more conditioner as you go.
5. Use food coloring to color as desired.
6. Once done with the dough, store in an air tight container or zip lock bag.
I purchased the Hair Conditioner at Walmart in Middlefield, and I purchased the Cornstarch at Dollar General in Middlefield. I had the Zip Lock bag and food coloring at home.
Hair Conditioner- $1.98