Schedules, rules, handbooks, surveys and more … you’ve come to the right place to explore everything there is about youth sports in Middlefield!
Way to go! Signing up your kid for sports is the first step toward a season full of fun for the whole family! What a wonderful opportunity you have created for your child. One where he/she can learn new skills, get some exercise, meet new friends, be a part of a team, and have the attention and support of his/her biggest fan…YOU! Just remember-put the FUN FIRST and you will make this sport experience that much more enjoyable for everyone. Few youth programs are successful without the support of parents. Below are a few guidelines for concerned parents as they strive to support their young athletes:
- Supportive parents focus on mastering sport skills and strategies rather than on competitive ranking.
- Supportive parents decrease the pressure to win.
- Supportive parents believe that the sport’s primary value is the opportunity for self-development.
- Supportive parents understand the risks that competition places on a child.
- Supportive parents communicate their true concerns directly with the coach.
- Supportive parents understand and respect the differences between parental roles and coaching roles.
- Supportive parents control negative emotions and think positively.
- Supportive parents avoid the use of fear and punishment to get kids to perform better.
- Supportive parents avoid criticizing children, coaches, and officials.
- Supportive parents recognize and understand expressions of insecurity and provide support when necessary.
- Supportive parents avoid the use of guilt to manipulate children to perform the way they want them to.
- Supportive parents show empathy for the young athlete.